Love and Joy.

12:47 PM


My son Alaka'i is the best thing I ever did.  He truly is the greatest gift God ever gave me and I thank the Lord every day for being so fortunate and so blessed to have him in my life.  

He taught me what it was like to truly love.  My heart opened in a way I never thought it could when I gave birth to him nearly 10 years ago.  Ten years.  Don't they go by in a blink?  It doesn't seem that long ago that I had a little baby in my arms and was celebrating Christmas 2 days after he was born.  My boy Alaka'i is a Christmas baby, born at 11:29 pm on December 23, 2001.  He was 10 lbs 4.8 ounces and 26 inches long.  He was a big baby and the best and most painful Christmas present I ever got!  (He was worth it though).  Alaka'i (ah-lah-kah-ee) means "the one who leads the way, the leader" in Hawaiian. I named him that because I wanted him to be strong and to choose the right path.  I was 19 when I had him and have raised him as a single mom with some much appreciated help from my parents.  I'm so lucky to have such generous, helpful and understanding parents. 

He provides me with an endless supply of  joy.  Even on days when he's not listening or focusing.  Even on days when he's being lazy and acting like he can't do something so that I will do it for him (which doesn't work because I'm wise to it hehe)..  Even on the worst days and through the most difficult times, he provides me with such joy.  Regardless of how he may irritate me or how he may upset me, I know inside how lucky I am to have such a kind and loving son.  He is one of the best people I know.  He is a good Christian, unafraid to share his love for God with whomever he encounters.  He is kind to everyone which is a trait I cherish.  He is outgoing and sweet and helpful.  I'm so lucky to be his mommy. 

Someday (sooner than later), he will be all grown up and not want me to hug him, cuddle him or kiss his cheeks.  Someday he will roll his eyes at me and wish I'd leave him alone.  For now though, he wants me around him (most of the time) and I'm so lucky that he does.  I cherish every moment I have with him. 

 This Christmas, I'm focusing more on what I'm thankful for than what I don't have.  I'm so thankful to have him.  My son Alaka'i is the best Christmas present a mom could wish for!  Let's all take a moment to reflect on what we're most thankful for.  In these hard and financially troubling times, it's important to maintain perspective so that we don't lose sight of what truly matters.  The people in our lives and the moments we have with them are more priceless than all the gifts that money could buy.  

What are you thankful for this Christmas?  Share with me your story or what you're thankful for in the comments below!



You Might Also Like

0 comments

Search


Connect