Cooking While Juice Fasting...

12:00 PM


Cooking when you're on a juice fast is a not-so-easy thing to do!!  Oh boy, my son was hungry last night and he asked me to make him one of his "favorites".  Thankfully his "favorites" list is extensive and he has a relatively healthy diet so I chose to make him panko and furikake crusted ahi (yellowfin tuna), asparagus and "hapa haole" rice (white and brown rice mix).

It's a relatively fast and healthy recipe.  The entire prep time is about 15 minutes.  Cooking the rice in a rice pot actually takes the longest to cook.

Want to learn how? It's super easy...
  • Get ahi (yellowfin tuna) fillets and put a light layer of mayonnaise, greek yogurt or miso paste mixed with yogurt.  
    • I opted for the miso paste mixed with yogurt which basically is 1 part miso for 2 parts greek yogurt, mixed together in a bowl.
  • After you lightly coat it, get panko (bread crumbs) and furikake (seaweed/nori pieces) and mix them together. This can be done on a plate, in a bowl or in a plastic bag.  I add a little salt and pepper for seasoning.  Gently bread the ahi with this panko mixture.
  • Sit the ahi in a pan that was already heated on the stove top.  I use a sautee pan with a little extra virgin olive oil.  Let the ahi sautee (you may want to cover it to help keep the fish moist).  It usually takes 3-5 minutes per side.  Keep in mind, ahi can be eaten raw so you don't have to worry if it's not fully cooked although 3-5 mins each side is sufficient to cook it all the way through).
  • After it's browned, sit it on a plate lined with paper towels to absorb excess oil.  
My son who's 11 loves this. In fact, I use it as a substitute for fried chicken every now and then because it's healthier but he feels like he's still getting something in the fried food realm. 

For the asparagus, I just got fresh organic asparagus and cut the bottom rough ends off of it.  I then sat it in a pan of boiling water and covered for 2 minutes depending on how soft you want the asparagus to be.  I actually put it in the super boiling water and let it stay in there for 1-2 mins and pull it out, strain it and put it in ice cold water. This way it is tender but not soggy and it maintains it's beautiful bright green color. After that I lightly drizzle extra virgin olive oil over it with a dash of salt, pepper and a teaspoon of chia seeds (super good for you).  I took some raw almonds and chopped them up and sprinkled on top.

After that I put some fresh organic strawberries on the plate and he was set and ready to eat! 

I'm so not fancy when I'm just cooking for him.  I'll put it all on a paper plate to save dishes.  haha.

He loved it and had 2 servings of the fish and veggies.  It was a relatively light dinner and super duper fast to make.  

I wasn't planning on sharing this because I'm not a cook... but I got asked what it was when I posted it on my instagram & twitter last night so I thought that I'd do a quick write up for those who were interested. 

Happy Friday!!

Aloha,






You Might Also Like

0 comments

Search


Connect