Adventures in Single Parenting

11:30 AM

There's no denying that my son is the absolute love of my life.  He's the greatest gift that God has ever given me.  There are days where I'm so exhausted from work and the daily ups and downs of life that I feel utterly drained and frustrated.  Sometimes I even feel like giving up.  Then I pick up my boy or he comes out of his room from doing his homework and gives me a much needed hug or smile that turns my day around.  

He's the sweetest, most giving boy I know and I'm so proud to be his mama.  As his 11th birthday quickly approaches, I reflect more and more on our journey together, Alaka'i and I... I have been thinking about how far we've both come and how much we've changed over the years.  My little baby is no longer a baby..he's a big, tall and strong {almost} 11 year old!   

When I was younger, I used to think that time took so long to pass and I lived under the assumption that I was pretty much invincible because my parents would protect me from any bad in the world.  Now that I'm the parent, I know that I am far from invincible and it is my job to protect my son from the evils of the world if/when I possibly can.  The truth is that life flies by so quickly once you reach a certain age that you can easily miss out on a lot if you're not paying attention.  Doesn't it go by in a wink?  

I swear, it was only a few seconds ago that my Alaka'i was an 8 month old chubby guy that I was pushing around in a stroller.  I was just changing his diapers, feeding him mushed up baby food, giving him bottles, and cuddling him tight at night.  

And BAM!  Now I wake up and he's a pre-teen, a young man in training, almost as tall as me.  

Where did the time go?  What happened to my little guy?  It was just me and him against the world and in 7 short years he will be venturing out into the world on his own finding his way (though I'll always be right there in the wings when he needs me).   This bright light, this beautiful gift from the Lord is going to leave me in yet another wink, another dash of time that will fly by too quickly.  How lucky I am to have this light, this love, this pure source of joy in my life.  I don't deserve such a wonderful son but boy oh boy, am I thankful that I got him.  It hasn't always been the easiest ride for him or for me, but it's the one thing in my life I would never change, not for all the money in the world.

Alaka'i, if you ever read this when you're older and on the web, know that I love you more than words can say... I always have and I always will.  I am so proud of you, you are the greatest source of joy and love that I have ever known and I just want you to know how amazing you are and how thankful I am to be your mommy.  I believe in you, you have the potential to realize all your dreams and more.  Stay strong, persevere and always trust in the Lord.  I love you my Alaka'i.

Love always,

Mommy



You Might Also Like

0 comments

Search


Connect