Dermalogica Multivitamin Power Serum Gives New Meaning to Age Smart

2:55 AM

I'm 30, almost 31 actually and I was taught all my life by my mother that it's quite important to take good care of your skin and that prevention is better than correction. Living in a place like Hawai'i has it's advantages and it's disadvantages when it comes to taking care of your skin. The perpetual summer and high humidity are generally kinder to skin than drier climates.  In Hawai'i we don't have to adjust for changing seasons, dry summers and blistering cold winters.  For the most part, the climate only slightly changes which makes it a lot easier to effectively care for your skin.  Sounds great right... well, the heat and hot sun can take it's toll on your skin, especially if you like the outdoors like I did growing up.  I used to bake myself in the sun at the beach every day after I graduated high school.  It didn't do that much damage, but it did enough.

In the last several years I started actually listening to my mother's sage advice (imagine that) and I started taking better care of my skin.  It doesn't take a lot of money to do so.  A good moisturizer, age appropriate eye cream and a good SPF are pretty much all you need to maintain good looking, healthy skin.  I have acne prone combination skin and in recent years have found that using gentler products actually eliminates my acne far  more effectively than the creams marketed specifically for acne.  I prefer to use products that are gentle and made with natural ingredients without artificial colors or fragrances.  With my sensitive, acne prone skin, I need something that works well without irritating my skin causing breakouts or further damage.  The funny thing is that I swore by acne products in the past and thought that the only way to clear my skin up was to use as many of them as possible.  Acne products serve their purpose but if you use too harsh a cream or don't replenish the moisture that they strip from your skin, it not only causes irritation but also leads to dryness that can start the aging process prematurely.

I also use a multivitamin serum made by one of my favorite brands, Dermalogica.  It's a serum that I put on my skin before applying moisturizer that not only gives my skin a smoother feel and texture, but it helps to heal my skin and even out the color and texture without causing any irritation.  Though this product is marketed for aging/mature skin, it works quite well for me (remember prevention is better than correction).  It's in a slender 0.75 FL. oz / 22 ml silver tube (much like the Dermalogica Skinperfect Primer that I use) that retails for $65 (US).  All you need is a small amount (less than a pea sized drop of the serum) to spread all over your face.  Follow that with your regular moisturizer and eye cream and you're ready for the day.


Here is what Dermalogica says about the Multivitamin Power Serum:

An age-fighting serum containing micro encapsulated vitamins A, C and E to help increase skin recovery, decrease fine lines and age spots while defending against skin aging. Boost elasticity levels with a skin-strengthening protein peptide that overrides biochemical triggers that lead to skin aging. Formulated without artificial fragrances and colors. 
  • It helps reduce fine lines and wrinkles
  • It helps stimulate collagen synthesis
  • It enhances cell turnover and cell renewal
  • It provides antioxidant protection
  • It helps control pigmentation
  • It can be worn during the day and/or at night
  • It is not suitable for use during pregnancy due to the high concentration of Vitamin A
  • This product replaces MultiVitamin Power Concentrate
  • It was developed to target mature or prematurely-aging skin, however the vitamins and nutrients will benefit all skin conditions.


Though this serum is not "all natural" like many of the other products I use on my skin, I gave it a chance because I love so many of the other products that Dermalogica has to offer.  I got it a couple months ago and wanted to give it a real try so I put off reviewing until now.  It was the only thing I added to my current regimen that has worked for me for quite some time.  I changed nothing else.  Over the two months, I noticed that my skin was instantly smoother and my pores appeared smaller.  In the course of one week, the redness in certain areas of  my face was reduced and the dry spots around my nose and mouth were more supple and the dry areas were gone.  After about a month and a half, my skin tone was more even and the dark spots I had from previous sun damage and acne scarring were lighter and less noticeable.

So down to the point.  It's $65 for 0.75FL oz (22 ml) of product.  It's expensive for the amount of product you're buying.  At first glance, one might be instantly turned off by the price and I totally understand that.  I wish it were cheaper.  If you try the product, however, you'll realize it's worth every penny.  I've tried EVERY single other skin tone correcting cream and this is by far the best I've used, plus it has vitamins and helps to prevent and correct premature aging.  Do you have to be a certain age to use it? No.  Remember, prevention is better than correction.  It will work as well on younger skin as it will on aging skin.  I'd say anyone over the age of 25 would benefit from this product.  I don't think people younger than that would really need it although it does help with skin evenness and texture so it's worth trying if you have problems in that department.

 Positives:
  • Instantly improves the look and feel of skin.  
  • Creates smoother skin texture and evens skin tone. 
  • Lightens acne scarring. 
  • Helps prevent premature aging, fine lines and wrinkles. 
  • Helps makeup apply more evenly because your skin is smoother. 
 Negatives
  • At $65 for 0.75 FL oz, it's kind of pricey. 
  • Availability limited to specific salons which makes it more difficult to find than other products. 

I think in this case, the positives far outweigh the negatives.  If you can afford it, I suggest you try it or go to a store that carries it and sample it.  I have tried products from so many other brands to even out my skin tone and remove acne scarring and though some have worked, none have come close to delivering me the results that this product has.  What makes this product special is that it's not even specifically marketed as  a product that evens skin tone.  Dermalogica does say that it will help with age spots and premature aging but it does so much more.  It will be something that remains in my beauty arsenal for years to come. 

Availability: Dermalogica



Disclosure: This review contains a sample product sent for consideration by the brand or its PR firm.  Our priority is to you, and we honor that commitment by being honest! We don't do paid reviews or guarantee reviews. We're going to give you the truth and nothing but! For more information, please read our disclosures & policies page.  This specific product was sent by the brand for me to try and review on their website.  I really like this product so I decided to do an additional review of it on my website as well.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Search


Connect