J.O.Y. Reviews: Mariposa at Neiman Marcus

11:00 AM




When I first wrote the review below on Yelp, I was grieved and sad to do so because I had quite a few lovely experiences at Mariposa at Neiman Marcus Ala Moana Location in the past.  This particular experience was just awful and I've learned recently that several people got the same rude, condescending service there since my encounter so I thought I'd share this review with all of you.

Yeah...not all the J.O.Y. Reviews are happy or positive ones!!  Some may say "Well it's a high priced, stuck up, snobby place...what did you expect?"   To that I say, I expect good service.  The service in the last year or so has gone down dramatcially and I believe it has more to do with the hiring practices of the managers of this restaurant than the cooks or food.  In fact, the food is still amazing... it's just the hostesses and their direct manager that leave a bad taste in your mouth.

Restaurant info via Neiman Marcus:
Mariposa  
Laid-back luxe. Savor delectable fare at Neiman Marcus Honolulu Mariposa®, the consecutive seven-year winner of the prestigious Hale 'Aina Award. From creative sandwiches to regionally inspired entrees and house-made desserts, this chic eatery has just the sumptuous something for any appetite. Take in a legendary Hawaiian sunset from your table on the open-air lanai while enjoying exceptional service and fine Pacific cuisine.
Manager : Duane Kawamoto (E-mail
Honolulu Advertiser, July 28, 2006"An evening of exceptionally good eating."
MenusAcrobat Reader is required to install when you see the menus below.Lunch Menu (PDF)Afternoon Menu (PDF)Dinner Menu (PDF)Course Menu (PDF)Wine Menu (PDF)
Methods Of Payment AcceptedWe accept Neiman Marcus, Bergdorf Goodman, American Express, Visa, MasterCard, JCB and China UnionPay credit cards (Visa/MasterCard), cash, and checks.
ReservationsWe recommend that you make reservations. Please call or visitOpenTable.com
My Review on Yelp:
2.0 star rating
 8/29/2012 Seated via OpenTable 4 Check-ins Here
I would have given this place more stars if they had seated us on time. We made a reservation through Yelp and it was confirmed. When we went there, they took forever to seat us and the snotty hostess said that they didn't have tables in her most  (unjustified) stuck up tone.

The food is delicious, however and I really appreciate that they include the calories in each dish and offer healthy selections. The scenery is really nice and the view is so calm and relaxing. The bartender (Wesley I think) made the BEST Bloody Mary I have ever had in my life.

All of the waiters and waitresses were awesome. They are attentive, knowledgeable, friendly and really happy to serve you. The prices are fair and not what you'd expect from a high end place like Neiman Marcus. It's right in most people's budgets but still manage to use quality ingredients in their food.

I would give this place more stars but the hassle I went through just to get seated really turned me off from going here.  It's a shame that they don't honor reservations. I could understand if I had just showed up but I had a reservation and the flippant attitude given to myself and my mother by the hostess named Michelle was uncalled for. Just because someone works at Neiman Marcus doesn't mean they deserve or are in the place to be rude and condescending to people, especially when most of the crowd that goes there are well off or affluent.
The place still has a decent rating on Yelp but I think that has more to do with past positive experiences and not so much on the present atmosphere the hostesses are creating there.  I had a lovely lunch there in the past... A friend of mine also had a horrible experience there in the last month or so.  I say, if you're in Hawai'i, eat here with caution and patience because the hostesses are rude, don't honor reservations and don't show you any patience.

I guess at Mariposa, good customer service is out of style...

For more reviews of Mariposa on Yelp click {HERE}..

On a positive note... the food is rather good..  Worth the bad service? I don't know.. but the cooks are amazing.



More food photos {HERE}

I hope this review helps you when you decide where to eat if you're ever in Hawai'i...

Aloha,



You Might Also Like

0 comments

Search


Connect