Fluoride Free Toothpaste Switch...

12:39 AM




When I made my diet change and started juicing and cutting out all artificial ingredients, GMO's, preservatives and the like, I also looked for alternative products for my every day tasks such as brushing my teeth.

Fluoride has for many years, been passed off as beneficial to your oral health.  In some cities across the United States, the water was even fluoridated but I'm not buying the hype.  I watched a very eye opening documentary called The Fluoride Deception:
In this video, award-winning journalist Christopher Bryson examines one of the great secret narratives of the industrial era; how a grim workplace poison and the most damaging environmental pollutant of the cold war was added to our drinking water and toothpaste.
Scary.  I'll get to all that in a minute because I know not all of you will agree with my views or the views of the video and organizations that are fighting water fluoridation. I'll be including links and the videos for The Fluoride Deception at the end of this video.  When I decided to quit toothpaste that had fluoride, I went to a couple health stores and did some homework.  Not all "health food" stores' toothpaste is fluoride free.   You really have to read the labels.  I've tried maybe 5 different fluoride-free toothpastes for myself and my son and the two pictured above are my favorites (as is evident from the dented bottle on the left).

With "all natural" toothpastes, you run the risk of brushing your teeth with something rancid that leaves your mouth feeling and tasting not-so-awesome.  I tried a few of those that weren't to my liking but I did luck out and find 2 that I really like.

The first toothpaste Weleda Plant Gel Toothpaste ($ 8.00 US) is my son's absolute favorite.  He's an 11 year old boy and is really picky about how clean his teeth feel.  I bought this Weleda toothpaste because I use their Citrus Spray Deodorant (will review that later) and thought I'd give this toothpaste a try.  Glad I did!!  It's geared towards tooth protection and for those with sensitive gums.  The taste is sweet but not too minty, just a subtle hint of freshness, nothing strange or yucky.  It's actually a red-colored gel and it leaves your mouth feeling utterly clean and your teeth shiny and smooth.  LOVE it.

Here's more info via Weleda:
natural cleansing and protection for delicate gums
Clean teeth, care for sensitive gums and balance the normal functions of your mouth with this soothing tooth gel. It’s a gentle way to clean your mouth with natural silica and help reduce the buildup of plaque.

Your sensitive gums are soothed by the mild antiseptic properties of organic chamomile flower extract. The gently effective disinfectant in our soothing myrrh extracts and the astringent properties of organic ratanhia are proven oral healthcare secrets from ancient cultures that naturally clean and tone your modern mouth. With the invigorating taste of lively mint and citrus fruits, your mouth feels completely refreshed. You’ve finally found soothing oral care that effectively cleans your teeth, so tell those sensitive gums to relax.
The second toothpaste is Jason Sea Fresh Toothpaste ($ 6.50 US) which is my personal favorite because like the Weleda toothpaste, it is fluoride free but it is super minty and as close to the minty-freshness of the mainstream toothpastes that I've been able to find.  You honestly wouldn't be able to tell the difference between this and a minty Colgate or Crest if you brushed your teeth blindfolded.  My mouth is left super fresh afterward with no film.  Jason makes toothpastes with fluoride too so be careful and read the label.

Here's more info via Jason:
Strengthen your teeth and freshen your breath, without harsh abrasives or irritating chemicals. Sea Fresh® All Natural Toothpaste features Blue Green Algae (Aphanizomenon Flos-Aquae), rich in Calcium, proteins and antioxidants, to naturally strengthen your teeth and gums and potent Spearmint and Parsley Extracts to keep your breath fresh and clean. Our exclusive blend of natural polishers and stain-fighting botanicals includes Bamboo Powder, Calcium Carbonate and Silica to help prevent tartar build-up while gently brightening your smile. For a strong smile and fresh breath, use JASON Sea Fresh® toothpaste and mouthwash twice a day.
 
The JĀSÖN natural toothpastes promise:
√ No Sodium Lauryl/Laureth Sulfates
√ No Preservatives
√ No Artificial Colors
√ No Artificial Sweeteners
√ No Saccharin
√ No Propylene Glycol
√ No Gluten
I am really happy so far with the switch from the fluoridated toothpastes to the fluoride-free natural toothpastes.  I was so pleasantly surprised that my son openly embraced it and didn't whine about it.  I highly recommend you give it a try.  I don't know about you but the benefits far outweigh the downfalls.  I'd rather drive to Whole Foods and spend a buck more and not have fluoride in my toothpaste.

Now to the scary part....the dangers of fluoride.

This information is via Fluoride Action Network (FluorideAlert.Org):

Fluoride Toothpastes

  • The vast majority of toothpastes now contain fluoride.
  • Although research suggests adult-strength fluoride toothpaste (1,100-1,450 ppm F) can reduce tooth decay, this potential benefit comes with the risk of disfigured teeth.
  • Use of fluoride toothpaste during childhood is a major risk factor for dental fluorosis, particularly for children who brush before the age of three and who live in areas with fluoridated water.
  • Children who swallow fluoride toothpaste can reach fluoride levels in their blood that exceed the levels that have been found to inhibit insulin secretion and increase blood glucose in animals and humans.
  • All fluoride toothpastes sold in the U.S. must now include a poison label that warns users to “contact a poison control center immediately” if they swallow more than used for brushing.
  • Just one 1 gram of fluoride toothpaste (a full strip of paste on a regular-sized brush) is sufficient to cause acute fluoride toxicity in two-year old child (e.g., nausea, vomiting, headache, diarrhea).
  • In 2009, U.S. poison control centers received over 25,000 calls  related to excessive ingestion of fluoride toothpaste, with over 378 users requiring emergency room treatment.
  • In adults, fluoride toothpaste can cause skin rashes around the mouth known as perioral dermatitis as well as canker sores.
For more discussion on fluoride toothpaste, click here. 
 Fluoride Action Network has a TON of information about fluoride and the dangers it poses.  Here are my favorite articles from them:

Very scary but informative and true.  
Here are some other helpful and informative links:
Please watch the Fluoride Deception parts 1 & 2 below if you have the time.  I do a lot of research before I post about controversial topics and this is one I personally feel strongly about.  Prevention is better than correction! 
Part 1

Part 2

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Search


Connect